Thursday, February 3, 2011

Is This Question Valid?

This morning I woke up to the sound of the waves beating the sand, a man playing a game with a dog, laughing children, excessive honking, all kinds of birds, crickets, a fighting couple, thatching of wheat, the smell of coffee and french toast, scuffling feet heading to school. I sit up and it hits me...

Is this is reality?
Is this true?
Is this AFRICA?

Flash back two years ago to February 2009. My face squinted with cold fear as I scurried out the door, stuffing a scone down my face in Portland, Oregon. All the while praying my burning little legs would work fast enough to haul me to class on time. When I say “on time,” I literally mean on time. One minute late and I would be docked down a whole grade.

Is this beneficial?
Is this what I’m supposed to be doing?
Is this going to be helpful for my future?

Fast forward to February 2011, as I ride, once again for the first time into an oddly familiar scene. An orphanage in Liberia, West Africa. I’m surrounded by little hands touching my “fine fine hair,” and smiling at my stupid flower tattoo. I think how blessed I am that I am actually here and try to hold back tears! I cannot believe how amazing life is. I have the opportunity to hang out with children, invest in orphan directors lives and to work with some of the best people in the world.

PLEASE don’t get me wrong. This is not going to be easy. I ask daily for God to reveal more truths about His great kingdom plan for Liberia and the kids. I expect the days of inconvenience, lots of spiritual buffing, and unexpected situations. Tons of thoughts and often some insecurities too, are running through my head like a whirlwind...

Will I do a good job?
Will I be able to make a difference Lord for you?
Will I glorify You with all I have in my time here?

As I am embarking on this journey for the next months, I would have to say I’m ready as I’ll ever be. I’m completely sold out for whatever God has, and honestly hoping for the wisdom of His love to teach me more than I have ever known.

The point I’m making is this: SEVERAL times in life we find ourselves in places we have no control over and we may never know the answer to our “whys” in our physical life on earth. We might find ourself in school, working in the U.S., saving the dying in hospice centers, playing music in a bar, gardening, serving at a restaurant, staying at home with the kids, cooking in the kitchen etc...

When we find ourselves moving to other continents, or staying home, remember time moves quickly. Your questions are humanly valid in ever sense of the "question," and God knows your heart. He is faithful to allow ambiguity in them and always answers, just not in the way we want them or expect them. In all circumstances God is faithful. I may never really “KNOW, KNOW,” the answer these questions... But, it doesn’t matter. God knows the heart. So, next time you find yourself questioning a lot, Stop. Think about those questions through the lens of Christ’s love for you and creation.

No matter where you are, what you’re doing, do it all for His glory and the questions grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and praise. Give them to Him, and that makes all the difference. :)

Your questions are valid. God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful. - 1 Cor 1:9
Excuse me while I go listen to "Blessed Be Your Name..."

Until The Next Question...

No comments:

Post a Comment